Dolby 公司做音效, 大家應該都知道. 但是 MS10 這個名詞可能就令人相當陌生了, 只有業內的人才會留意. 所謂 MS 就是 Multi-Stream, 10 就是第十代的 decoder.
MS10 的內容包括 Dolby Digital Plus, HE AAC 兩種 decoder, 以及 HE-AAC 到 Dolby Digital 的 Transcoder. 因為在歐洲國家, 不是 support HE-AAC Decoer (Dolby Pulse) + Dolby Digital Encoder, 就是 support Dolby Digital Plus.
這個消息在 2009/3/23 發佈, 不過 Dolby 早就在著手於 MS11 了. 因為 DTS 也擠進 Broadcast 領域的關係, Dolby 亟思將它趕出去.
DTS 的優勢就是偽 backward compatible 的相容性, 號稱一個 bit stream 可以適用於各種等級的 DTS decoder. 因此 Dolby 的殺招就是讓它的相容性無法發揮作用, 至於是哪一招, 大家可以推測看看…
SAN FRANCISCO –(Business Wire)– Mar 23, 2009 Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:DLB) announced today the new Dolby® Multistream Decoder, a licensable multiformat audio decoding technology that supports Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Pulse in a single package for next generation HDTVs and set top boxes.
In Europe, various industry groups such as Digital Video Broadcasting, the European Broadcasting Union and DIGITALEUROPE (formerly known as EICTA) have recommended Dolby Digital Plus and HE AAC as the audio coding systems for next-generation broadcast transmissions. In addition, individual national forums have specified these audio systems for their respective HD formats. Dolby Digital Plus decoding brings premium audio support and full compatibility with existing Dolby Digital broadcasts. Dolby Pulse (Dolby’s implementation of HE AAC) can extend the Dolby experience to an even wider range of bandwidth constrained services and new online opportunities.
The new decoder, also known as the Dolby MS10 Multistream Decoder, decodes both Dolby Digital Plus and HE AAC audio and therefore can assist manufacturers in meeting new MPEG-4 terrestrial receiver specifications in several European countries, including Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Norway (HE AAC only with transcoder), Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. It also enables new audio mixing options to enhance presentation for viewers with vision impairments, as required or recommended in several European countries, including Sweden and the UK.
“We’re confident that the Dolby Multistream Decoder will not only aid manufacturers in reducing the cost and complexity of integrating audio technologies into their TVs and set top boxes, but it also will aid greatly in simplifying product development and testing,” said Tom Daily, Senior Director of Marketing, Broadcast Segment at Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
Other key benefits of the Dolby Multistream Decoder include:
- Full compatibility with Dolby metadata and consumers’ existing DVD home cinema systems with all Dolby and HE AAC transmission formats
- Full multichannel support (transcoder) for Dolby Pulse in addition to Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus decoding and conversion—one Dolby Digital output for all input formats
- Support for audio description services delivered “receiver-mix” style using two simultaneous instances of Dolby Pulse, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus decoders, respectively—all for the price of a single decoder instance
- Support for multiprogram Dolby Digital Plus streams (main and associated audio delivered in the same audio stream)
- Ability to decode AAC, HE AAC v.1, and HE AAC v.2 bitstreams
Dolby MS10 Multistream Decoder implementation and system kits are available starting today. For more information, please visit www.dolby.com/ms10.
Dolby Pulse is the newest addition to Dolby’s comprehensive portfolio of high-quality audio technologies, and is designed to meet the varying needs of broadcasters and operators in different regions. Complementing Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse addresses next-generation applications where bandwidth efficiency is critical. Based on a consistent code base and equipped with support of various metadata, Dolby Pulse is designed to provide consistent and predictable results throughout the broadcast chain.
Because it is based on the AAC family of codecs, a Dolby Pulse decoder can decode AAC, HE AAC v.1, and HE AAC v.2 bitstreams. Dolby Pulse stands apart from the standard MPEG-4 HE AAC core because it integrates all the metadata parameters as required to be considered a broadcast audio system, like Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital.
Dolby Pulse also offers significant improvements in the following areas:
- Decoder stability: Offers highly optimized switching times between channel configurations and improved reliability when used in a system with Dolby Pulse encoders
- Error concealment: Ensures reliable broadcast audio performance
- Decoder requirements in terms of memory and computational complexity: Dolby Pulse decoding within the Dolby Multistream Decoder platform is integrated into a combined code base that is optimized for H.264 system-on-chip architectures
- Encoder audio quality: Offers superior audio quality compared to other parametric audio codecs
About Dolby Laboratories
Visit www.dolby.com for more information.
David Yang, 415-645-5679 (Media)